Friday, December 18, 2009

Scones


This was a benefit of going to the class party I really didn't want to go to. When I was growing up "scones" were actually fried bread dough (yum!) but where I live, scones are kind of like baking powder biscuits only lighter and fluffier and you cut them in triangles. They look really dry and crumbly but they're light and fluffy and delectable. Our ward is in charge of feeding people at the transitional homeless shelter in our town and I signed up for breakfast. Since it will be a very small group of people it won't be stressful to make something from scratch. I'm supposed to bring the food the night before and I tested these and they are still good the next day. (Cinnamon rolls and bagels I like to eat the same day.) By the way, I make my own bagels for Christmas morning breakfast. They're really easy. I will post a recipe later.

2 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. butter
1 lg. egg
3/4 c. sour cream
1/2 c. currants (I used Craisins, my friend used orange-scented dried cranberries)

Glaze: powdered sugar mixed with a little OJ or milk + vanilla.

Preheat oven to 425. Put dry ingredients in food processor. (I didn't use a food processor.) Blend with butter, cut into small pats. When blended fine, pour in bowl.

Place egg in bowl and beat with fork. Add sour cream and mix with fork. Pour mixture into crumb mixture. Blend with fork until mixed. Don't overbeat! Add currants or Craisins.

Roll/pat out 3/4 inch thick. Make two 6-inch circles and cut into 6-8 wedges. Place wedges on cookie sheet and bake 12 minutes. Top with a little bit of glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment