Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pizza Dough

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/New-York-Italian-Pizza-Dough/Detail.aspx


I don't know how anyone could possibly use this recipe as written--the dough is far too sticky, not even dough, in my opinion. (But I used all purpose flour--maybe that makes a difference.) Anyway, I added almost twice as much flour as called for, gradually, using the Bosch mixer, until the dough cleared the sides of the bowl but still stuck to the bottom. I kneaded it with the mixer for about ten minutes and it created a very stretchy, sticky dough.

--------

OK, here is the post-dinner report: This pizza was absolutely amazing. We had Jill and Wendell over for Henry's birthday dinner and everyone got to make their own pizza. It's tricky to stretch out the dough, and you want it the thinner the better, in my opinion. I heated up my pizza stone for half an hour in a preheated 500 degree oven. According to Peter Reinhardt you want to bake your pizza at the highest temperature you can so that the crust bakes in the same amount of time as the cheese melts and caramelizes. Jill is a sushi chef and has worked in the restaurant business for a long time and said this was the best pizza she had had in a very long time. Wendell is also a discriminating eater and just said he was very, very happy. Henry is particular about his pizza and was also extremely impressed, especially with the crust.

I find it very difficult to get the pizza onto the stone so this time I cut circles of parchment paper the same size as the stone and people spread out their dough and made their pizzas right on the paper which was easy to slide onto the stone. I made my dough extremely thin. Here is what I put on my pizza and I want to make it exactly like this every time because it was so good:

--Garlic butter around the edges of the dough.

--Thin layer of pizza sauce (purchased from a local pizzeria).

--Sliced fresh mushrooms.

--Fresh baby spinach.

--Dabs of homemade pesto.

--Marinated artichoke hearts.

--Dabs of feta cheese.

--Mozzarella cheese.

--Hormel turkey pepperoni.

--Slices of red bell pepper.

--Fresh parmesan cheese.

--Greek olives.

Baked at 500 degrees for ten minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment