Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Light & Delicious Fettuccine Alfredo

I tried out my new pasta machine for the first time today, and but was not excited when my daughter suggested I use it to make fettuccine alfredo. It's usually so heavy and it feels like it's going straight to my arteries. Then she suggested we use Rachel Ray's recipe from her Top 30 30-Minute Meals/Kid Food book, so we did. I altered the recipe by adding some fresh garlic, and used 1 can of evaporated milk instead of cream. My daughter was thrilled with the results, and so was I. The noodles were fresh, light and wonderful.
 
Rachel Ray's Fettuccine all'Alfredo
 
1 package (12 ounces) egg linguine [1 batch homemade egg linguine]
[1 clove garlic, crushed]
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half [1 can evaporated milk]
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
 
Bring salted water to a rolling boil for your pasta and cook to package directions. Drain well.
 
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt. [Add crushed garlic to melted butter and cook for one minute.] Add cream or half-and-half, and stirring constantly, add cheese and cook, 1 minute. Season with nutmeg, a pinch of salt, and pepper. Turn off heat and add drained pasta to the skillet, tossing until pasta is evenly coated. Adjust seasonings and serve with green salad on the side.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment