Monday, October 19, 2009

Costco Spiral Ham and "Funeral Potatoes"

Our only ham is the spiral one from Costco. It's super easy for company or for the family; you can freeze the leftovers or cook with them all week--use in fried rice, pasta salad, etc. I usually buy one of these hams when I go to Costco and store it in the freezer to have on hand.

Is it bad luck to use the word "funeral" in my blog? Hope not. These are fondly called "Mormon Potatoes" or "Funeral Potatoes." I lifted this directly from recipezaar.com. I don't add the butter or use so much sour cream. Nor do I do the corn flake topping although it sounds fabulous. I always use the frozen potato shortcut, but I use the cubed hash browns not shredded.

Apparently the Lutherans claim this recipe, too. :)

12 large potatoes or
1 (32 ounce) bag frozen shredded hash browns
2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream (OR 1 c. sour cream & 1 c. milk)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup butter, melted (I don't use)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I don't use)
2 cups crushed corn flakes
2 tablespoons butter, melted

1Peel potatoes and boil for 30 minutes, until just tender.
2Cool and grate into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
3Heat oven to 350ยบ.
4Combine soup, sour cream, cheese, ½ cup melted butter and onion.
5Gently blend into the potatoes.
6Combine corn flakes and 2 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle on top.
7Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment