Saturday, October 24, 2009

Taco Salad

Was at the store this afternoon buying bread and trying to think of an easy dinner idea, and it came to me: Taco Salad. I bought tortilla chips, lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados. At home, I used the microwave to defrost a Costco roasted chicken that I had been storing in the freezer for a rainy day. I browned some ground beef, also from the freezer, then added a packet of taco seasoning mix from my pantry, the required water, and an undrained can of black beans from my pantry. While washing and cutting the lettuce and tomatoes, I let the meat mixture simmer until the sauce was thick, and dinner was ready. Everyone put whatever they wanted in their salad. Here is what was available:

shredded romaine lettuce
chopped tomatoes
chopped avocado
shredded cheese
roasted chicken
seasoned ground beef with beans
tortilla chips
sour cream
salad dressing
Pepperidge Farm parmesan goldfish (our family's "croutons"--one child doesn't like taco salad)

No comments:

Post a Comment