Monday, October 19, 2009

Improvement on Dinner Card Idea

Laura gave me a great idea which improves on the concept of writing dinner ideas on individual 3x5 cards. She got a cardboard recipe box at the dollar bins at Michaels and is going to fill it with cards. On the back of each card she will write a list of ingredients needed for the dish. Then, on Sunday afternoon she will sit with her kids and they will help her pick the menu for the week. She'll look at the backs of the cards and make a shopping list based on what she needs for those recipes.

It is important to note that this is not a traditional recipe box--this is a box of the names of tried-and-true "keeper" recipes or meals (although you could certainly store your recipe cards in there as well, but I'm storing more and more of mine on the computer). You could even put your favorite takeout places on individual cards. After using them, you could file them in the back so you don't use them again for a while.

Another variation is this really cute meal planning notepad that Jenny sent me that I've been using faithfully. I save the used sheets and stack them in the back for future ideas. I could even reuse them in the same order if I want.

The important thing in all this is to make it FUN. First, make it fun for YOU. Making dinner is not fun for me but making a little box of cards or using a cute notepad IS. Letting the kids help plan makes it fun for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment