Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Delicious Spinach-Chicken Spaghetti

Tonight my younger daughter chose spaghetti and meatballs, which on the one hand is good because it's super easy and everyone likes it. (Bottled sauce, Costco meatballs.) On the other hand, the thought of eating one of those meatballs, or the sauce that had those meatballs in it, made me nauseous. I like bottled sauce but only with ground beef or by itself. So it was a little depressing thinking of making something that at least no one would complain about, but that I didn't feel like eating.

Then I remembered I had half a bag of baby spinach in the fridge, and some leftover Sprite chicken! I had cooked 1.5 pounds of spaghetti, so after draining the spaghetti, I put some back in the still-warm pot. Then I added some real butter, and the baby spinach, stirred it around and put the lid on. The heat wilted the spinach quickly. Then I added some kosher salt, fresh black pepper, and chopped leftover chicken. I served it with Trader Joe's shredded "Quattro Fromaggio" (like fresh parmesan, comes in a ziploc bag; I store it in the freezer so it keeps forever without getting moldy) on top, and a tiny squeeze of lime (I like lemon or lime on my spinach). Wonderful!!

This would make a great "grocery store dinner"--just pick up a roasted chicken and some bagged spinach at the store and you are good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment